Monday, April 25, 2011

A Hard Battle to Fight

          What do you do when your child refuses to sleep in his or her own room? That is the dilemma I have been having for awhile now.
          My child is very easy going. I get constant compliments about how good she is and how lucky I am to have such a good little girl! I have actually had it pretty easy, compared to some of my friends who have more difficult children.
          Payton co-slept with us until January 1st, 2011. This is when she turned 8-months-old. I then moved her from our bed to the pack n play at the end of our bed. This was a huge adjustment for her, but within a week we were golden! A few months later I then decided it was time to make the big leap to her sleeping in her own room. I used the excuse that I didn't think she was ready for it...but in reality, I think it was me who wasn't. After a week of crying and little sleep, we finally made progress and she was a happy camper again! Until now...she has hit a new stage. She now REFUSES to sleep in her own room. She is okay with it as long as I am in there, but as soon as I leave she is screaming. I have let her "cry it out", but I think I have a very stubborn child. She will cry for hours. Literally, HOURS!!!
         I am in my 31st week of pregnancy and I physically and emotionally cannot fight this much longer. I have tried so many things. I have even tried to keep her up as long as I could. Until she was falling asleep playing! (see picture below) FAIL. As soon as she touched her crib she was screaming.

          I have now reverted back to having her sleep in the pack n play in our room. She does wonderfully in it. I know I have taken a step back, but she is no longer in our bed, and I'm getting my sanity back.
        I don't see anything wrong with co-sleeping with your baby/child. I do have a few reasons why I have decided to no longer do this. (1) Payton will have a sister in June. I am worried both children will wake each other up if in the same room. (2) I DO NOT want two babies co-sleeping with us! (there's hardly any room as it is in our bed!) (3) I worry Payton will roll out of bed, and onto our hardwood floors! OUCH! (4) My husband and I would LOVE to have our relationship back :)

        I know this is a common battle for other parents, and maybe I am putting too much thought into it. Maybe I should just keep using the pack n play until this stage is done.

          Any other Moms feel this way? I'd love to hear from you!

          I will update later on our progress!


-Lindsey with J.Lily

1 comment:

  1. "The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems (by Teaching You How to Ask the Right Questions): Sleeping, Feeding, and Behavior--Beyond the Basics from Infancy Through Toddlerhood" By Tracy Hogg

    We love this book, as well as her others. So far, she has been spot on with everything we have needed help with. She has great suggestions and is really easy to read. Plus, she's English and calls you mummy throughout the book! Cute!

    http://www.amazon.com/Whisperer-Solves-Problems-Teaching-Questions/dp/0743488938

    Natalie S.

    ReplyDelete

Have fun!
We love to hear what you have to say.
Criticism, suggestions, opinions, positive reinforcement, whatever the case may be, share it!

Related Posts Plugin